Monday, May 6, 2013

T is for Teacher: My First National Teacher Appreciation Week!

My First National Teacher Appreciation Week bouquet from my students 

This week is National Teacher Appreciation Week and while to the seasoned educator it seems unextraordinary or even mundane, to me (as a first year teacher) it is truly exceptional.

When I walked in the classroom this morning excepting the everyday morning routine, I was met with the most glorious surprise: a vase with a few random blooms that included lilies, button mums and a striking orange tulip. It was so lovely! As the day progressed, the vase grew to include several other tulips and even a stunning red and cream-colored rose.

One of my students even ran up to me excitedly proclaiming that she had given me a gift: a pretty purple petunia and a touching card describing me as "a great teacher.

I was so overjoyed to see the happiness in her eyes as I read the card to her and felt my heart swell with pride that all the college courses and the CDA exam led me to this very moment: sitting in a classroom full of preschool-age children that truly cared and being called their teacher.

When I arrived home, I sat looking at the freshly arranged flowers in a lovely blue vase and knew that this feeling could not be bottled or store bought, but meant the world to me: I am a preschool teacher.

For anyone out there reading this blog post, please remember to thank all your teachers this week by a hug, card (store bought or homemade) or even just a simple thank you. It means so much to us to be thought of by the students today and always.

To my students, thank you for your kindness, thoughtfulness and infectious smiles. You are the reason I pursued a career in early childhood education. You are the stars and I love being able to open your world daily to the immense and expansive possibilities of learning.









No comments:

Post a Comment