Sunday, April 6, 2014

Zoo Cool to Be True: A Trip to the Cosley Zoo!



The Cosley Zoo is an adorable oasis nestled in a residential section of Wheaton, Illinois. Children and grown-ups alike clamor to this zoo for their incredible collection of domestic and exotic species including chickens, miniature donkeys, bobcats, bunnies, Nubian Goats and hedgies (hedgehogs) too!

To celebrate the Week of the Young Child (April 6th - 12th) and to enjoy this springtime weather, my mother and I took a car trip to see this lesser-known cousin of the Brookfield Zoo to area residents.

It was so refreshing to know that Wheaton residents (who have a special park district pass) are able to enter the park free and my entrance fee was a measly five dollars, which is unheard of in these trying economic times!

I was amazed at the beauty and cleanliness of both the animals and the park grounds. Ducks quacked happily on a grassy knoll, goats lazed on a wooden dais created for their enjoyment, and bobcats perused their habitat in a happy-go-lucky fashion.

The highlight of my trip, was when I was able to pet a very handsome and prickly young fellow in Cosley's education center. The African Pygmy Hedgehog was an absolutely quill-essential sight to any animal lover big or small and made my day!

As I meandered through the zoo, I found the laughter of the children, the chatter of the grown-ups and the sweetness of the animals become a symphony to my ears on a lazy springtime afternoon.


*The previous video was made before the bobcat exhibit opened. The bobcat exhibit is now open*






No comments:

Post a Comment